Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Perfume World Tour 1st live in Singapore! パフュームワールドツアー:シンガポール!

Yes, I'm a closet Perfume fan. 

Last Saturday was the last leg of Perfume's 1st ever overseas tour, held in Singapore at *Scape Warehouse. This was following performances in South Korea, Taiwan and Hong Kong, and choosing to end their tour here in Singapore meant that we had honor of hosting the event to be broadcast live to cinemas all over Japan and Taiwan!


Big thank you to J-Live Asia and Sozo for bringing Perfume here!
Well, before going into the details of their awesome performance (if you've been reading my twitter), I'll do a quick introduction of Perfume and how I started listening to them :D

From Wikipedia (where else?):
Perfume (パフューム) is a Japanese pop girl group from Hiroshima, Japan, consisting of Ayano Ōmoto (Nocchi), Yuka Kashino (Kashiyuka), and leader Ayaka Nishiwaki (A-chan). They debuted locally in 2001 and made their transition to a major label in 2005. As of January 2012, the group has released fourteen major label singles on the Tokuma Japan Communications label. Since 2003, Perfume has been produced by Yasutaka Nakata, founder of the group Capsule and the man responsible for their electronic dance-pop music. 
 My first brush with Perfume was a few years back (probably 2009), and like many fans I believe, it all started with the single "Polyrhythm". I remember viewing it on Facebook or YouTube (the beauty of social media), and was quite entranced by their techno-pop music and that addictive "poririzumu poririzumu poririzumu izumu izumu izumu" refrain. I started listening to their albums "Game" and "Triangle" and fell in love with the rhythmic melodies and thumping beats, characteristic of their sound. I wasn't that huge a fan of their dance routines, preferring to immerse in their music instead (which incidentally worked wonders for concentration during exam periods).

Then came news earlier this year that J-Live Asia were bringing Perfume to Singapore as part of their first World Tour, and I just had to go for it! Right, on to the concert proper. Forgive me if I can't remember the playlist or details here and there as I was so absorbed and really enjoyed myself :D
Opening
The girls started off with matching shimmery, silvery white outfits and did some of their earlier songs as well as songs from their just-released Global Compilation "Love The World" album, including Night Flight, Computer City and Electro World. It was my first time seeing them dance (well, with the exception of Polyrhythm), so I was really enthralled by their dance steps. Electro World in particular got the crowd all hyped up! I loved the part where each girl took turns to do the fist punches!
MC
This was followed by an MC section during which Nocchi complained (jokingly of course) of the heat and the sweat. A-chan then identified many guys wearing black-framed spectacles and chatted about her favourite type of guy (black framed glasses, headphones, V-neck and skinny pants lololol). This was all translated helpfully by an audience member called Ume-san (?). Incidentally there was one member of the audience who fitted that description! They talked about eating chicken rice, arriving at Changi at 5am, thanking the fans who went to receive them, as well as a hilarious interview session with a local photographer.
A-chan then split the audience into 3, each with a unique chant - "Ma", "Rai", and "On". I didn't notice what it meant until she called for all 3 together -"Ma-Rai-On = Merlion!" LOLOLOL Japanese and their obsession with our Merlion (and chicken rice). STB, you're doing a great job!
Super High Part
I'm not kidding when I say this was the super high part. They did all their heart-thumping songs in one go, including my favorite song from the JPN album, Laser Beam. The laser light show for Laser Beam was absolutely top class. Half the time I was dazzled by all the laser beams instead of the girls XD. This was followed by Spending all my time, where they did all the complicated hand movements, and a very appropriate track for the tour - Love the World. 


The screen from one of the cinemas broadcasting live! Awesome fans XD
Then came my favourite part of the concert - the giant LED screen at the back split into 3 separate screens, and the girls walked out wearing red outfits! This was followed by edge which ranks among my favourite Perfume songs for its sheer untz-untz-untz-ness. The girls danced in front of themselves (on the screens) exactly in sync, and I loved the part where they started swaying and acting all confused. Amazing choreography.
This was followed by Secret secret which again used the lighting to great effect, especially for the opening few seconds. The girls then ended off the segment with Dream Fighter, another crowd favourite! I remember screaming "先まで!" together with the audience whenever the chorus came about. Really inspirational song!
P.T.A Corner
I wasn't familiar with their lives/fanclub so I was scratching my head with regards to P.T.A, until A-chan answered my question - Perfume to Anata - the Perfume official fanclub, which they will be opening to the world next year! A-chan then got everyone to sing along to We Will Rock You (why that, I wonder lol). The girls then proceeded to teach us a dance to be used for one of the later songs! And A-chan actually "tekan-ed" us because we were waving our hands non-stop (i.e. Buddha clap style) and she was asking "You wanna learn the next dance? You wanna?". Nocchi and Kashiyuka were "pleading" with her to teach the next move which was hilarious XD. I wasn't laughing though, my arms were tiring quickly - which says a lot about the girls' fitness levels. They're damn fit!
Finale
They started off the segment with my favourite song off the Global Compilation album - Fake It! The girls really hyped the audience up and Nocchi came over to my side of the stage to urge us on! This was followed by the impossibly cute Nee, where everyone did the hand signal in sync during the chorus! Only after watching the PV for Nee did I realise the awesome tap dance sequence that I missed out because I was at the back :(
On hindsight, I realised I totally missed out on their footwork for all the songs D: Reminder to self - get VIP tickets next time!
Crowd favourite Chocolate Disco was next! It was fun singing along to the infectious chorus of neverending "Chocolate Discos" :D
And of course, they had to end it with Polyrhythm.  
Encore
A-chan started off by giving a short, touching speech about the obstacles Perfume had to overcome to stand on the stage in front of us. Perfume never knew of their overseas fans until they attended the premier of Pixar's "Cars 2" movie, for which Polyrhythm was used as a song, and were surprised to learn that people knew their songs outside Japan. They made a decision to switch record labels (from Tokuma to Universal) so that they could go global to reach their international fans (so brave of them, respect!!). A-chan then teared up as she described how they had to bid their staff goodbye (T.T). I was really touched by her speech.


Love their matching outfits! Photo credits to sgcafe.com
They then performed their first single released under Universal, Spring of Life, which was really appropriate :3. I loved the dance routine for this song, especially when each girl took turns to do a mini-catwalk cum hair-flip (Nocchi, in particular XD).
They then did Kokoro no Sports, followed by a special announcement


So much cuteness in one photo! Pity about the gloomy skies though 
A-chan announced that a special guest from Japan came along for the tour - Doraemon! And Doraemon actually walked out! She announced that Perfume's next single, Mirai no Museum, would be used as a theme song for a new Doraemon movie (Nobita's Secret Museum Adventure) next year! 
 The funniest part came when Doraemon said he had to go back to Japan to check on Nobita, and he walked off stage. The Perfume girls then wondered how he was going back, before shouting that they saw Doraemon pull the "Dokedemo (Anywhere) Door" from his pocket and use it! So cute XD!
Perfume ended the show with My Color where the dance moves they taught us came in handy! 
After they exited the stage, the fans started singing an acapella version of Polyrhythm, to which the girls (off-stage) replied "Thank you! See you again!" 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To quote my twitter reaction after the concert:

And some Japanese news reports about the tour:



No comments:

Post a Comment