Thursday, July 22, 2010

夏: YUI - Holidays in the Sun

Its been 2 long years since YUI has released an album, the last being "I Loved Yesterday".

2 years and 3 months on, her long-awaited 4th studio album has finally been released on the 14th of July! Including 5 singles, 1 remake and 7 new compositions, "Holidays in the Sun" manages to capture the essence of summer. From the cheerful "Summer Song" to the melancholic "Please Stay With Me", YUI brings you on a roller coaster ride through the ups and downs experienced during the holiday season.

While most of the tracks are pretty much standard YUI fare, she does spice up the songs with a dash of creativity here and there, notably in "Shake My Heart" and "es.car". Its also evident that YUI's lyrics are maturing somewhat, continuing a trend first spotted in "I Loved Yesterday".



Tracklist:

1. to Mother
2. again
3. Parade
4. es.car
5. Shake My Heart
6. GLORIA
7. I do it
8. Please Stay With Me
9. Summer Song
10. Cinnamon
11. Driving Happy Life
12. It's all too much
13. Kiss me

Notable tracks:

1) to Mother
From the title, its quite obvious that this song was written "to mother", and it wasn't a coincidence that the single was released around Mother's Day. The lyrics are exceptionally touching, telling of the strains between mother and child, of taking others' kindness for granted. The song itself is simple and straightforward, and marks YUI's first time playing the piano in a song.

3) Parade
This track really gives off a summer feel, using the sounds of the acoustic guitar and bongos to add to the carnival atmosphere. I wouldn't be surprised to hear this song being played in a beach bar or something like that. The lyrics are surprisingly frank, about wanting to openly display love between 2 people, instead of being shy about it.

4) es.car
I love this track. The opening intro really sets the tone for the song, upbeat and carefree. What really distinguishes this track apart from the rest is the solo - a piano solo, rather than the usual guitars. The accompanying strings also provide a nice touch the song. Interestingly, the title comes from a very long escalator (hence the name escar) on the island of Enoshima. From the song, its not hard to imagine a sunny day spent with a loved one out having fun on date.

5) Shake My Heart
It seems everyone is experimenting with various instruments this season. "Shake My Heart" includes a brass section to spice up an otherwise normal-sounding song, giving that oomph-factor (lol). The chorus is also unbelievably catchy, with a whole choir backing YUI. In an interview she mentions attempting a gospel-esque track, which I assume is referring to this.

8) Please Stay With Me
My favourite track out of the whole album. Its a sad, emotional song from start to finish, and it really struck a chord with my heart when I first read the lyrics.

"If I say I want to meet you, will it cause (you) pain again?
Even though my tears overflow, my love
While we pass each other by, you become more dear to me
Please Stay With Me"


Kanashii, ne? And she sings it with such emotion its difficult to not be moved by the song.

10) Cinnamon
A rather happy-go-lucky track, and from the opening guitar riffs you can already feel the urge to bop your head along to the tune. The lyrics are also written in a somewhat whimsical, sweet and fun way - of the exchanges between a couple arranging to meet up.


The rest of the songs are equally good as well, but these 6 tracks stood out in particular. Note that I chose to introduce her newer songs because I could still form impressions of them. Older singles like "Summer Song" and "again" have been played countless times til' I can't really think of what to write :P

Now for some short notes about the other 7 tracks:

2) again - Opening theme for FMA: Brotherhood. As you'd expect for an OP, a very powerful and deep song. The pre-choruses in particular pack a punch. YUI-style rock at its very best!

6) GLORIA - Released as a single before "to Mother". A very catchy song, especially during the chorus, and was written as a form of encouragement to students taking their exams and pursuing their dreams. I listened to this a lot during my exams last semester :P

7) I do it - YUI originally wrote this song for Stereopony, and decided to include her version in this album. Another one of her classic rockin' songs, alongside "Rolling Star", "Daydreamer" and of course "again".

9) Summer Song - Her oldest single on the album (it was released in 2008, 2 years ago!), and literally brings out the summer feel of the whole album. Happiest song on the album :D

11) Driving Happy Life - Another of YUI's "happy" songs :P It does fit the title very well, I can imagine zipping down the expressway with the windows down, blasting this song from the stereo.

12) It's all too much - Theme song for the movie "Kaiji". Very very deep lyrics, as well as a very emotional sounding chorus. Beautiful song, beautiful lyrics.

13) Kiss me - Unsurprisingly, a love song by YUI. But the surprising part is how frank and in-your-face the song is, and she sings it with that whispery voice during the verses - goosebumps :P


"Holidays in the Sun" should be released in Singapore soon (overseas version), so if you like what you hear, support YUI by buying the album! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment