Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A musical update...

Its been some time since I last blogged anything about music. Well, not if you count the recent X-mini speaker review as one.

So whats new in my playlist? In case you've been watching my Facebook, I've recently become "fans" of Fukuhara Miho, Superfly and Stereopony, all being relatively new artistes in the Japanese music scene.

In case the first name sounds familiar to all you Full Metal Alchemist fans out there, yes she's the singer of the 2nd ending song "Let It Out". Coincidentally that song led me to find out more, and subsequently listen to her debut album "Rainbow". Another promising singer-songwriter? What struck me the most was her voice.Think Mariah Carey/Christina Aguilera-esque kind of power, minus the glass-breaking high pitches. Her songs range from gospel and blues to pop-rock and ballads

Recommended songs - Let it out, Koi wa Rhythm ~Believe my way~, Himawari, Change, Hanabi Sky, Yuki no Hikari

Her voice really shines on the bluesy and ballad-ish songs, including a cover of Celine Dion's Because You Loved Me. Not to mention her English pronunciation is good.

Superfly was introduced to me a few weeks back on Facebook by Kevin-sensei =D
I knew they were fairly new but never bothered to listen to their songs. When I finally did, wow! The lead singer (now solo, still Superfly) Shiho has really smooth vocals - powerful yet controlled, mature and polished, compared with Fukuhara's more raw sound. Their music is rather on the alternative side - 1970's style psychedelic rock 'n roll, and of course the standard balladish fair. A really refreshing change from the pop/rock I've been listening to. They've just released a 2nd album "Box Emotions", on top of their debut album "Superfly".

Recommended songs - Alright!, My Best Of My Life, Koisuru Hitomi wa Utsukushii, Hi-five, Ai o Komete Hanabata o

Last on the list, Stereopony is an all-girl 3 member rock band from Okinawa. Strange, considering the previous 2 on my list are all vocal powerhouses. The lead vocalist Aimi, by contrast, sounds positively J-poppishly cute =.= And I though I was way past that stage. Still, they do have a couple of addictive songs "Hitohira no Hanabira" (17th ending for Bleach) and "Namida no Mukou" (opening for Gundam 00), both found on their debut album "Hydrangea ga Saiteiru.

Recommended songs - Hitohira no Hanabira, Namida no Mukou

It doesn't hurt that all 3 members are lookers. Musically-wise, nah. Maybe they're still too new to find a definitive sound (they're 18/19). Chatmonchy still rule the 3-girl rock band list.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can tell I'm bored. Nothing much to blog about school. Who wants to read about going for lectures, doing tutorials and mugging for tests?

No comments:

Post a Comment