Sunday, March 14, 2010

And I know I know I know...

And so the significant other has left for Germany on exchange. Guess it'll be a quiet 5 months while she's away. All the best over in currywurst land! Can't wait to fly over - it seems so far, what with exams standing in my way. Sigh...

On the bright side, it means more time for me to study... If it even resembles a bright side.

Still, its amazing what technology can do. Email used to be considered the cutting edge tool to keep in touch, now Skype can do that, complete with live video and audio! And for free too! If you discount the cost of the equipment that is. The 7 hour time difference is a killer though; more often than not email would be the only option.

Coincidentally, the song "Ain't No Sunshine" was kept on constant loop in my head today, ever since I bought Olivia Ong's latest album from HMV today.

Simply titled "Olivia", its her first album under her new record label HIM. The packaging is unique as well, with the standard jewel CD case enclosed within an envelope-like package, sealed with stitching.

Containing 2 new original songs and 8 covers, this all-English album would fit nicely in a quiet eatery or lounge. Without much deviation from her previous works, this latest album doesn't really break new ground nor does it aim to impress. Instead, it builds upon Olivia's soothing and crystal clear vocals, giving a new and refreshing take on old songs that were once radio hits of their time.

Notable tracks on the album:

"You and Me" - An original song that's lighthearted, simple and sweet. Sounds better each time I play it!

"I Feel The Earth Move" - Slightly more upbeat, with a playful bounce to it. An interesting, jazzy reinterpretation of the original song.

"Bittersweet" - The 2nd original song on the album. I first heard it live on TV during this show which showcased local bands (I forgot the title of the show already :x) and was quite impressed by it. The album version is a different take on the same song, but somehow I prefer the live version (maybe due to the groovier feel)

"Ain't No Sunshine" - The best song on this album to me. I don't know why, but it just sticks in my head for some reason.

"Luka" and "Stars" - Both are simple covers of the 2 hits of the 80's - 90's and yet she does them flawlessly, her clear vocals standing out in both renditions. I must say she does Simply Red songs very well, first "For Your Babies" in the previous album and now "Stars".

Overall? The novelty of covering popular songs may have lost its shine slightly after 3 albums, but it still is a tried and tested formula, and one which Olivia does wonderfully. Throw in a couple of new songs to freshen up the mix and you have an easy to listen album that would appeal to anyone.

It's a pity "Ru Yan" wasn't included as a bonus track or something. Its the song that brought her to local fame after all.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ain't no sunshine when she's gone....."

No comments:

Post a Comment