Saturday, April 03, 2010

Dreams are(n't) my reality

Its strange how dreams can pop up from nowhere with totally random storylines - you wake up and you go "What was THAT all about?!?!"

Especially since in my case, dreams are about as rare as catching a Mewtwo in Safari Zone.

Which is why most of mine are pretty memorable.

I remember having 1 ages ago during Primary school (yes it was that long ago), where I was standing at the top of a super-long escalator that stretched down in some random shopping mall, and it was snowing. Indoors.

Don't ask me what that means.

Then there were the numerous occasions where I would be falling indefinitely, waking up at the exact moment of landing. That was scary. People say it means insecurity, but I think its just the brain's way of saying "Ok, the alarm's gonna ring pretty soon, so why not I give you a lil' ride just for fun".

And many others which I can't really remember. I can only vaguely remember the characters present in some of them - A polar bear (must have been a really hot night), an elephant (uh, ate too much peanuts?), and random people from my childhood.

Like last night, a fragment of my childhood surfaced yet again. Can't really recall the exact story, but it involved a certain person, a bungalow, a strange proposal, a celebration, Facebook, an interview, a revelation and a dilemma. Its strange right? Having a dilemma within a dream. And I think I actually had to make a decision, which of course affected the course of the dream. WEIRD! Its almost as if I was inside directing the whole thing. (I thought dreams were supposed to be uncontrollable?)

It might be due to waking up at 4am to hunt down a god-forsaken mosquito that was happily slurping up my blood. Just to let you know, I didn't manage to smack it. Yes I know, all future NEA employees should come equipped with mosquito swatting + mosquito breeding site spotting skills. I'll work on it, I promise.

Dreams reflect what our brains have been thinking about, our fantasies, our worries, our hopes, our anxieties. But I really hope they don't reflect reality: Imagine dreaming about giant commando mosquitoes that attack in squadrons.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

What did you dream of last night?

No comments:

Post a Comment