Saturday, May 01, 2010

Post-exam activity #1 - Don't Say "Lazy"

What does a guy do alone at home the day after he finishes his exams?
.
.
.
He watches anime!

Alright, I suppose this doesn't apply to the generic "guy" in the street, more to the inner otaku in every one of them.

I've been a huge fan and rabid follower of Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood even though the storyline matches the manga word for word. Its got something to do with getting a kick out of watching all the special effects blaze to life, something you can't get from reading the manga.

But even I must admit, I've been watching too much FMA. Its getting too emotional, too serious to really enjoy watching. Its more for the story, really.

Which was why, in the midst of studying for the exams last week, I chanced upon an anime which I knew was around but never bothered to watch. Yes, call me Mr. Lag. This always happens to me, yes?

K-ON!

When I first heard the opening theme song on Youtube, I nearly cringed at the overly cute vocals, even though it matched the entire theme well. I didn't know at that time, but K-ON! was one of the most popular animes in Japan when it was first aired. After watching a few episodes I kinda knew why, and well it sort of made for a good post-studying pre-bedtime activity :P



In a nutshell, K-ON! is about a 2 high school girls, Mio (Bass) and Ritsu (Drums) forming the "Light Music Club" (Kei-on in Japanese) in their school. Short of members, they go on a recruiting spree and manage to recruit Mugi (Keyboard) and Yui (Guitar). Packed into 13 episodes with practices, high teas in the music room, desperate crises, new members, training camps, school performances and many epic, L-O-L moments, I'd say K-ON! is definitely not the kind of anime you'd wanna catch for a strong storyline.

Rather, its that kind of anime that brings a smile to your face after a long day at work/studies, no thanks to the antics of the 4 girls, each with their own set of unique characters. Its more of a brainless, overly cute comedy than a music-oriented anime, even though the music aspect first drew me to it. Not that the music isn't good; the ending song "Don't Say Lazy" is catchy, as well as the songs the girls perform on stage "Fuwa Fuwa Time" and "My Love is a Stapler". Yup, strange song titles indeed.

Its currently into its 2nd season now, and while I can almost predict the story already, I'm gonna follow it just for the laughs and entertainment value. If you happened to walk past my room while I was watching K-ON! in hall, you'd have noticed the wide smile on my face, with the occasional outburst of laughter. I hope it didn't look weird :x

K-ON! is freely available on Youtube for those who'd like a peek, so go ahead and have a laugh :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other news, Command and Conquer 4 didn't live up to my expectations. After just 4 campaign missions I gave up. More on that in a later post, perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment