Monday, February 18, 2008

ASIAN KUNG-FU GENERATION

I was just reading about a forum thread debating the quality of Japanese rock bands out there, when I thought about AKFG. Since I'm kinda bored right now, why not introduce them over here?
Of course with Wikipedia and all that stuff, everything can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_Kung-fu_Generation

I'll just give a (biased) personal review of them =)

Right. ASIAN KUNG-FU GENERATION, or AKFG, or ajikan (as fans call 'em), is probably one of the more popular indie/alternative rock bands in Japan right now. How did I discover them? Unsurprisingly it was via anime, Full Metal Alchemist to be exact - the song was Rewrite. It wasn't until a few months after hearing that song did I search for more, and discovered 4 albums filled a bunch of alternative, rock, slow-rock and punk rock - styled music. While their style wasn't new, it was a refreshing change from the typical Japanese rock band - low, sexy vocals, fast drum beats, crazy solos, and (most of them) visually appealing.

AKFG has none of those, yet their songs are catchy and unique. Credit goes to songwriter/vocalist/guitarist Gotoh. Compared to other more accomplished vocalists, Gotoh's voice bends towards the raw side, which works well with their high-octave and powerful songs (think Chester Bennington from Linkin Park, though not as screamy). Musically-wise, their star man is drummer Ichiji. Complicated drum patterns dominate their songs, most obviously in Blue Train. Bassist Yamada provides steady, powerful bass-lines, while lead guitarist Kita compliments Gotoh's power chords with rhythmic riffs. While not musically superior compared to other popular bands like L'arc en ciel, they exhibit great chemistry and are great to watch live. Just do a search on YouTube and you'll get what I mean.

I'm just disappointed that I can't get my hands on their CDs and videos in Singapore stores. Which is a pity, considering their album cover arts are bizarre yet stunning.

My favourite playlist of their songs would include these: Rewrite, Kimi to machi Made, Kimi to iu Hana, Loop & Loop, Re:Re, Blue Train, Aru Machi no Junjou, Understand, Powder Snow, Mirai no Kakera and their latest single - Korogaru Iwa, Kimi ni Asa ga Furu.

And I'd like to say one more time - they sound GREAT live.

If I'm feeling bored another day, I'll probably dedicate posts to YUI, chatmonchy and Mika.

No comments:

Post a Comment