Saturday, October 24, 2009

Why I won't need Windows 7 (for now)

Yes you heard the title right. I don't need it now. But I never said I didn't want it :P

Windows 7 comes 3 years after the release of Vista, which is short by OS standards (Vista came after 6 years of XP). Maybe its their attempt to end the embarrassing Vista saga, which was blasted and condemned ever since it was released. The common opinion at that time? "Vista sucks."

For me, I didn't have a choice. Vista came with my gaming rig I bought off WCG 2007, so I had to "suck thumb" and lived with it. Initially, it seemed pretty cool, since I didn't have the resource-hungry problem, what with all the Aero effects and cool black bar. I even remembered installing a Vista skin for my old XP computer, before Vista was released. In other words, I was a Vista "fanboy". I loved the way it looked.

Then the problems started coming in. Crashes due to incompatibility, irritating UAC prompts, BSODs, the usual. I spent many hours fixing those problems, more often than not compromising rather than solving. After 2 long years, I've finally reached a state of equilibrium (no, not related to Physics or Chemistry in any way). UAC? Disabled. BSOD? Restart lor. Game crashes? Restart lor. Thumbnail previews buggy? Disable thumbnails lor. Any sense of frustration/anger had long ago evaporated, leaving me in a Zen-like state.

Thankfully, having tweaked the system for over 2 years now, its definitely much more stable than when it was a baby. To this date I haven't had a single un-recoverable crash. Games and other programs run perfectly fine as well (minus the occasional Crysis crashes).

Despite all the new features, amazing looks and all that hype that comes with Windows 7, I'll stick with Vista. That is, until the day I can get Windows 7 for free/uber cheap.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those still stuck with XP though, its a no-brainer. Stop using that ugly, blue task bar!

No comments:

Post a Comment