Tuesday, August 04, 2009

eat my words... om nom nom

Remember those words I said a few weeks back?

[.......Not-so-famous geek quote, "If they can zhng their cars, why can't we zhng our rigs also? We also Ah Beng what."

Next project will be... A new graphics card, complete with side grille and fan! Which probably won't happen for another 2 years."]



....Well, I ate them.



Forums are evil. After a few days staring at people announcing their tech buys, upgrades, mods, and their own sales, its hard not to join in.

And yet I've them to thank for making the pain of upgrading a brother that somehow just manages to catch up much easier to bear. After 2 years, I figured he wouldn't be able to keep up sooner or later, especially with the end-of-year game release season approaching (a Crysis 2 would have killed off his graphics card for good).

It started out as a plan to upgrade my aging 8600GT, and of course after advice from the forums, I had to upgrade my power supply, my RAMs, blah blah blah...

Not just another simple trip to Sim Lim Square though; I set myself a personal goal to buy most, if not all, the stuffs from the thriving online tech marketplaces at VR-Zone and Hardwarezone. Well, I got my graphics card, power supply and fans from there! Saved me a bundle as well as allowing me to sell off the old stuff!

I did head down to SLS to get a brand new set of RAM, as well as a custom side hole for a fan.

The results! (sorry, I just had to cam-whore)

My totally Benged-out brudder in all his zhnged glory


The interior

The side fan!


Budget: $200

XFX GTS 250 512mb graphics card - $150*
CM Real Power Pro 550w power supply- $90*
4GB Kingston HyperX 800Mhz RAM - $88
CM 212 Case fans - $21*
Side panel cutting + fan grille/filter - $19

My bro all fired up to take on any game thrown at it - Priceless

*bought from friendly forum sellers

Total: $368

After selling away my old stuff ($110)

Total: $258 (exceed budget by $58... don't think about it... just enjoy....)

So if you're thinking of DIYing a PC, be it for games, work or just surfing the net, nothings better than reading up in VRZ and HWZ forums. Better still, register and post a "help!" topic =)

Warning: It can get pretty addictive. I'm trying to go cold turkey now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright enough of the geek stuff. Just came back from NTU Engineering Freshmen Welcome Ceremony. Tired like hell... Need... sleep...

No comments:

Post a Comment