Saturday, August 15, 2009

First week

Week number one in NTU.

So far its been quite ok, getting used to staying in hall, attending lectures, running around doing admin stuff.

First day was horrible though - I couldn't bear seeing the vacancies for HMJ1 - Japanese 1 drop until a measly 3 slots - none of which could fit into my timetable. Even the very first lecture I had actually seemed pleasurable compared to the tension that slowly ramped up as 7pm approached. I had a few backup plans for electives, none of which was interesting at all to me. But anyway I just hecked it and clicked through the minute the clock struck 7.

In the end I dropped that particular elective for a geekier-sounding (and more exciting! to me that is) How Computers Work. Been refreshing the vacancies praying for people to drop that elusive HMJ1 timeslot for me now and then, but I don't expect much.

So far I've been scurrying to lectures, printing lecture notes, exploring friends' halls, exploring various parts of the school, getting lost in the far reaches of N4-xx-xxx, hiking all the way to NIE to check out the bookstore, getting squeezed in the NTU shuttle buses (I find walking is a much better experience), sweating buckets just by walking from point to point.

More on this point - NTU. Is. Freaking. Hot. Maybe its just the weather these few days, but everytime I step outdoors, it feels as if global warming has come to NTU. Now you know why the preferred dress code in school is berms, not jeans. I've tried the latter for 2 days, and it really sucks to find your wallet and h/p pouch drenched in sweat.

Did I mention that the food in NTU is cheap? I mean, its been ages since I had food at school canteen prices, so eating beehoon for $0.70 and chicken rice for $2 is like a godsend. Drinks below a dollar! Makes you want to curse the random heartland coffeeshop for overpricing their drinks.

My room is pretty old, but with revamped furniture so its not so bad. The good thing is its just opposite the toilet, and very spacious since its a corner unit. The bad? A very powderful ceiling fan, cranky blinds and mozzies at night. Shall bring a stronger fan to counter the mozzies.

Been pretty quiet in hall this week, probably because I didn't go for orientation. I like it that way actually, nice and quiet and relaxing. Wouldn't mind some activities though, otherwise what's the point of staying? Wonder if my hall has a street soccer team or something...

In a nutshell - Living in hall is just like BMT minus the shouting seargents, limited personal space, and strict timings, plus lots more freedom, relaxation and the presence of females. Zhar bor platoon in BMT not counted.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope I don't sabo myself by engaging in very thrifty printing. Been squeezing as many lecture slides as possible into single sheets of paper, at extremely low ink usage. I'm so gonna need a magnifying glass to study.

No comments:

Post a Comment