Friday, August 07, 2009

patriotism

After reading today's news regarding the worldwide National Pledge taking ceremony on 9 Aug, 8:22 p.m, I thought to myself, that's a nice way to show our unity and patriotism! Even SMRT said they'll be halting their trains at that point for the commuters (and the train drivers I presume) to say the pledge. A whole country stops to take the pledge! Ain't that cool or what?

I wonder if this will cause an increase in complaints over train frequency and punctuality :x

Anyway it made me think about what I really feel about Singapore, the country where I was born and bred and fed. I don't feel like writing a long essay on it, so I'll say it in a list (hah! another list!)

Besides the obvious reasons, I'm a Singaporean and proud to be one because...

1) I love the food here. Hawker food FTW! cai tao kway, char kway tiao, bak chor mee, wantan mee, nasi lemak, roti prata, laksa, zhi char, blah blah... I think about it start drooling already...

2) I've been through the hell that is NS. And understand what the terms 1206, LOA, SOL, IPPT and KNNCCB mean.

3) I speak Singlish. And I velly good at it hor. dun pray pray. got degree in Singlish i sure 1st crass honours one.

4) Whenever I go overseas, I can recognise a fellow Singaporean immediately from the way he/she talks

5) I understand the whole plethora of acronyms out there. PIE SLE TPE CTE ECP AYE KJE BKE KPE PUB NEA MRT ERP CPF NDP SAF HDB PAP GSS MOE CGH LKY DBS CBD NTU(C) NUS SMU LOL

6) I know that good stuff must queue. But queue doesn't mean good stuff. And yet I queue.

7) As a sign of respect I call strangers who are totally unrelated to me whatsoever "auntie" and "uncle"

8) I am on track to live the "Singapore dream", that is - get a degree (in the process), get a job (not yet), get lots of money (nah), get a wife (not so soon), get some kids (not yet), get to retire (still far), get to die (damn). Might be good to de-rail at some point.

9) I support Manchester United more than our Lions team. But still feel sense of pride whenever they win international matches.

10) Last but not least, I know how to and will recite the pledge come 9 Aug, 8:22 p.m.

Happy NDP in advance!

No comments:

Post a Comment