Friday, July 10, 2009

Cable Management, Module 1 (Zhng My Rig, Part 1)

Warning: Not for the faint hearted non-techies

I spent the whole of yesterday morning with the innards of my gaming PC (or "rig" as we call it)

Why?

I've been trying to figure out ways to lower down the temperature of my processor as well the entire system. Its quite terrifying to stare at the numbers climb past 70 degrees Celsius whenever I start TF2 or some other high-end game. It gets rather hot in the room on a windless day too. Try stuffing your feet next to the exhaust of my com after a few hours of intensive gaming. After a night of researching on Hardwarezone and VR-Zone forums, there were a few options:

1) Liquid Cooling (geez that's expensive)
2) More fans (cheap, but I'd hate to drill holes in my casing =x)
3) Tidy up those cables (free!)

Obviously the effectiveness decreases down the options but I decided to choose 3). Partly because I wanted to see whether it really did help. And its really the easiest and cheapest thing to do.


My brudder, before ripping it apart. Note the bloody mess inside.


First thing I did was stuff the unused annoying power supply cables at the top, above the CPU heatsink and fan. This took a bit of thinking as well as inspiration, I was stumped initially on where to stuff them, untill I realised they could be bunched up into a bundle. Twisties are my friend =) I saw some excellent pictures at the forum where they stuff the cables behind the motherboard, but that needed some drilling as well.


Next, I flattened the irritating IDE cable against the casing wall, bundled it together with the main power supply cable and cable tied it down. Cable ties are my friends too =)


The finished result. Amateurish perhaps XD But I managed to clear the pathway of the mega fan there, resulting in uninterrupted airflow.

Most importantly, I reduced the temperature by 1-3 degrees! w00t!

Ok sorry you had to sit through that. But damn, its really satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment