Monday, July 06, 2009

A tale of 2 Michaels

I just realised I never did a proper dedication to that special guy, the guy who could walk backwards looking like he was walking forward, who could do gravity and friction - defying moves, and make grabbing crotches fashionable.

Michael Jackson - RIP.

While I wasn't really a big fan of him (my childhood idols were the Bee Gees and Take That, horrors), his music always seemed to stand out from the rest of the stuff that was playing on the radio. Who could forget the unmistakable opening basslines of Billy Jean? That, together with Thriller, Beat It and Bad became my favourite MJ songs.

Of course I never really saw the genius that was MJ until my dad brought home a hulking bulk of a LaserDisc titled - HIStory. It was the video version of the "best" album that was released at the time. Because that was before I had access to MTV, it would be the first time that I saw his dance moves and videos.

The video Thriller was actually quite hilarious to me, the bunch of dancing zombies surrounding that poor girl. It was MJ moonwalking on lighted tiles in Billy Jean that really made me go "WTF!!!!" (Of course being at such a tender age I probably went "WA LAO!"). Smooth Criminal was another video that made me feel as if I was watching a mafia movie, complete with white suits, top hats, flying billiard balls and the iconic Tommy Gun.

Sadly MJ slipped from my radar after that. His newer songs were nice and singable (Heal the World, Black or White) but never had that impact. Then the weird stuff started appearing in the news, the eccentric "Wacko" things he did, the child molestation etc. I never paid much attention to those other than a shake of the head "Tsk.. He kee siao liao..."

Then he died.
MJ will always be the King of Pop for my generation. Simply because Elvis and the Beatles were already dead when I was born, and nothing else after that can match MJ at his imba best. No, not even cry you a river Justin.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who's the other Michael?

Michael Owen.

I can almost hear the "CHEYY.." coming from you guys.

No he's not dead, he just joined Manchester United from poor ol' relegated Newcastle on a free transfer. Man, how cheapo can Alex get? Still, its a good deal! How can anything that you get for free not be a good deal?

I hope he teaches Berbatov and Anderson a thing or two about scoring.

Take that Liverpool fans!

P.S Any fellow Man United fans wanna camp along the Singapore River waiting for the Liverpool team to float by? Wearing the ManU jersey and waving fake BPL trophies at them? kekekeke

No comments:

Post a Comment