Saturday, July 18, 2009

Laptop BBQ (Zhng my PC/laptop part 4)

I am utterly sorry to say that this will be my 4th "Zhng my ___" post in a row.

But I promise it will be the last!

Until I start Uni, that is.

Problem: Laptop processor runs at a flamin' hot 80C when running >50% for long periods.
Apparently my zhnged cooler fan configuration wasn't working. (fail T.T)

Solution:

Step 1: Clean!

I opened up the laptop until I managed to reach the fan (but not the heatsink though, it was blocked by this piece of plastic that refused to budge. Killed some dust bunnies, although I suspect many more hiding in my heatsink. -0.5c (fail)

Step 2: Zhng some more!

I love DIY =))

I constructed a fan duct out of some old cardboard, duct tape, aluminium foil, paper clips and good ol' cable tie.



It doesn't fit perfectly, especially once I open the screen (it blocks the exhaust! dumb design), but it does a relatively good job! -2 to 3C

Step 3: Undervolt!

No its not some Pikachu technique of striking from below, its reducing the power supplied to the processor so that it'll run cooler. Plus I'll be able to squeeze out more battery time =)

Still in the process, but I hope it'll give good results!

No comments:

Post a Comment